The oldest home in Dunwoody is hidden away and yet in plain view at 5661 Glenrich Drive, off Roberts Drive. The historic past of the 1840 home may not be obvious, except perhaps for the stone chimney and the Dunwoody Preservation Trust historic marker in the front yard.
The house was originally built by Larkin Martin, who owned more than three hundred acres. He was one of the first deacons at Ebenezer Primitive Baptist Church, when it was first organized in 1829. Other Martins listed as deacons include Reuben, Milly, Catherine, and Nancy.
Current owner Philip Green researched the property records and discovered that Larkin Martin only owned the property for two years. Other owners through the years include Copeland, Jordan, Peevy, Neely, and Titus.
In the early years, the home faced Roberts Drive with no other homes in sight. There was a porch on the front, kitchen and well at the back of the home. Later, the front porch area was enclosed and the north side of the home became the front. A pump house, including a large water storage tank and electric pump were built just off the kitchen.
Richard W. Titus and family bought the property in 1950, which included eight acres. He purchased additional adjacent land through the years to bring that number up to fourteen and a half acres. In 1955, he added on to the home, with Amacher Construction Company of Dunwoody completing the work. The home went from two bedrooms to four bedrooms, the kitchen was moved and a dining area was added.
Mr. Titus wrote a book about his days in Dunwoody called “Dunwoody Isn’t Bucolic Anymore: Vignettes, Anecdotes and Miscellaneous Ramblings of the 1950s and 1960s.” There is much detail in the book about his renovations and the family’s life in mid-century Dunwoody. The opening line of Richard Titus’ book is “Moving to the country. That’s what Dunwoody was in September 1950.”
One unusual feature is a porthole in the wall that is now the back of the home. It came from the whaling ship USN Atlantic, which Anne Skidmore Titus’ great grandfather, Theodore Lewis sailed on as ship doctor in the mid 1800s. Lewis kept journals of the voyages and two of them are at the Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic, Connecticut.
Land originally owned by Larkin Martin was sold over the years for the development of Titus Farms, which became the Sellars Farm and Mill Glen subdivisions.
Philip Green is not only the owner of the home, but is also the real estate agent for the property through Coldwell Banker. He was kind enough to show myself and two other representatives of DPT, Lynn Tinley and Wright Dempsey, around this lovely home.
Many historic details remain in the home, including three working fireplaces, exterior board and batten walls incorporated into the home, and wood floors throughout including some with original pine flooring. It is a spacious home with a finished attic space and basement with garage addition. This is not just any house, but a historic gem in the heart of Dunwoody.
Email Valerie at firstname.lastname@example.org.